Bluetooth 4.0 support in "socket" module
Tim Tisdall
2014-07-14 13:57:06 UTC
I was interested in providing patches for the socket module to add
Bluetooth 4.0 support. I couldn't find any details on how to provide
contributions to the Python project, though... Is there some online
documentation with guidelines on how to contribute? Should I just provide
a patch to this mailing list?

Also, is there a method to test changes against all the different *nix
variations? Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?

-Tim
Giampaolo Rodola'
2014-07-14 15:32:42 UTC
Post by Tim Tisdall
I was interested in providing patches for the socket module to add
Bluetooth 4.0 support. I couldn't find any details on how to provide
contributions to the Python project, though... Is there some online
documentation with guidelines on how to contribute? Should I just provide
a patch to this mailing list?
Also, is there a method to test changes against all the different *nix
variations? Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?
-Tim
Hello there,
you can take a look at:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/#contributing
Patches must be submitted on the Python bug tracker:
http://bugs.python.org/
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com
Skip Montanaro
2014-07-14 15:30:04 UTC
Is there some online documentation with guidelines on how to contribute?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=contribute+to+python

Skip
Brian Curtin
2014-07-14 15:53:47 UTC
Post by Skip Montanaro
Is there some online documentation with guidelines on how to contribute?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=contribute+to+python
This response is unacceptable.

Tim: check out https://docs.python.org/devguide/ and perhaps look at the
core-mentorship[0] mailing list while coming up with your first
contributions. It's a good first step to getting some guidance on the
process and getting some eyes on your early patches.

Skip Montanaro
2014-07-14 16:09:55 UTC
Post by Brian Curtin
Post by Skip Montanaro
Is there some online documentation with guidelines on how to contribute?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=contribute+to+python
This response is unacceptable.
Tim and I already discussed this offline. I admitted to being in a bit
of a snarky mood today, and he seems to have accepted my post in good
natured fashion. I should have at least added a smiley to my post. I
will refrain from attempts at unadorned levity in the future.

As penance, Tim or Brian, if you are are in or near Chicago, look me
up. I'd be happy to buy y'all a beer.

Skip
Hasan Diwan
2014-07-14 16:20:36 UTC
Would http://lmbtfy.com/?q=contribute+to+python# be more or less
acceptable? -- H
Post by Tim Tisdall
Post by Brian Curtin
Post by Skip Montanaro
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=contribute+to+python
This response is unacceptable.
Tim and I already discussed this offline. I admitted to being in a bit
of a snarky mood today, and he seems to have accepted my post in good
natured fashion. I should have at least added a smiley to my post. I
will refrain from attempts at unadorned levity in the future.
As penance, Tim or Brian, if you are are in or near Chicago, look me
up. I'd be happy to buy y'all a beer.
Skip
Sent from my mobile device
Envoyé de mon portable
Tim Tisdall
2014-07-14 15:57:06 UTC
Naw, I'd accept that response. I think I searched on Friday, but forgot
about finding that. :) There's enough traffic on a mailing list without
useless noise.

Thanks for all the responses.
Terry Reedy
2014-07-14 20:42:25 UTC
On 7/14/2014 9:57 AM, Tim Tisdall wrote:

2 questions not answered yet.
Post by Tim Tisdall
Also, is there a method to test changes against all the different *nix
variations?
We have a set of buildbots.
https://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/
Post by Tim Tisdall
Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?
No idea.
Terry Jan Reedy
Hasan Diwan
2014-07-14 20:46:06 UTC
Tim,
Are you aware of https://code.google.com/p/pybluez/ ? -- H
Post by Tim Tisdall
variations?
We have a set of buildbots.
https://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/
Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?
No idea.
--
Terry Jan Reedy
hasan.diwan%40gmail.com
--
Sent from my mobile device
Envoyé de mon portable
Tim Tisdall

R. David Murray
2014-07-14 21:30:56 UTC
Post by Tim Tisdall
Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?
No idea.
It would be really nice to answer that and the related testing questions.
The socket module has bluetooth support, but there are no tests.
An effort to write some was started at the Bloomberg sprint last month,
but nothing has been posted to the issue yet:

http://bugs.python.org/issue7687

Is Bluetooth 4.0 something different from what the socket module already
has?

--David
Tim Tisdall
2014-07-14 23:13:32 UTC
The major change is to the Bluetooth address struct. It now has an added
value for the distinction between "public" and "random" 4.x addresses.
Also some added constants to open LE connections.
Martin v. Löwis
2014-07-30 18:03:35 UTC
Post by Tim Tisdall
Also, is there a method to test changes against all the different *nix
variations? Is Bluez the standard across the different *nix variations?
Perhaps not the answer you expected, but: Python uses autoconf for
feature testing. You can be certain that the API *will* vary across
system vendors. For example, FreeBSD apparently uses ng_hci(4):

http://www.unix.com/man-page/freebsd/4/ng_hci/

If you add features, all you need to make sure that Python continues
to compile when the platform feature is not present. People using the
other systems are then free to contribute support for their platforms.

Regards,
Martin